5. Decide on next steps

The next step in the court process is usually a conference.

You can also agree to try alternative dispute resolution. This refers to different ways for people to try to agree on their legal issues outside of court.

Sometimes the (CAS) asks you to sign an agreement about your child during the court case. For example, they may ask you to settle the court case by signing an agreement to put your child in temporary care.

Or they may ask you to sign a Statement of Agreed Facts. This is a written Form 33C: Statement of Agreed Facts (Child Protection) that says what you and the other agree are facts. This allows the court to accept them as true. For example, you might agree that your child is a member of a particular First Nation. Then you don’t need to give evidence to prove this later. 

You should talk to a lawyer before you sign anything.

Hide this website