4. Pick an option

After you’ve compared your options, you can decide what is best for you.

If you want to get an , you must take legal steps within 6 months of your partner’s death. Sometimes the court allows more time.

There is a special form you need to fill out to tell the court that you would like to get equalization.

A lawyer can help you start a court case if you want to get an equalization payment.

If you can’t afford to hire a lawyer for your whole case, some lawyers provide “unbundled services” or “limited scope retainer” services. This means you pay them to help you with part of your case.

If you can’t afford to hire a lawyer, you may be able to find legal help in other places.

If you don’t take any legal steps, the court assumes you are following your partner’s will if there is a valid will or the if there is no valid will.

Hide this website