4. Ask a professional for help

If your child seems to be having trouble coping with your separation or divorce, you can ask for professional help. Your child may be more comfortable talking to someone who is trained to work with children whose parents are separating or divorcing.

You can ask for help from:

  • a child therapist, psychologist, or social worker
  • your child’s school counsellor
  • your child’s doctor

Your child can also call a counsellor at Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868. A counsellor is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year long. It’s free to call anywhere, anytime. They can also email questions to a counsellor through the Kids Help Phone website.

Hide this website