3. Share financial information

If your is about support or , you and your partner must honestly tell each other about all your finances. This is sometimes called financial disclosure.

It is very important that you both share complete and honest information. This needs to happen before you sign your separation agreement. This includes information about your:

  • income
  • property

You can do this in many ways. For example, you could use a computer spreadsheet or a handwritten document that has all your financial information.

Or, you can fill out one of the financial statement court forms. Many people use these forms even if they don’t go to court. The forms can be useful because they show you what the court looks at when deciding your support and property issues. There are two forms:

  1. Form 13: Financial Statement (Support Claims): Use this form if you or your partner are asking only for , , or both child support and spousal support. Don’t use it if you need to divide property.
  2. Form 13.1: Financial Statement (Property and Support Claims): Use this form if you or your partner have to divide property. You and your partner may also be asking for support.

Don’t sign anything until you’re sure you have all the information you need. Make sure that you understand what is written and that you agree to it.

If you or your partner didn’t share all your financial information honestly, a court can decide to set aside your agreement.

Hide this website