3. Get your supporting documents

You should give copies of the documents that support the information in your . These could be things like:

  • proof of income from all sources
  • copies of your income tax returns
  • bank statements
  • credit card statements
  • mortgage documents
  • line of credit statements
  • money owed to you
  • business interests

The value of homes, cars, real estate, and businesses can be harder to determine.

You can hire a financial professional to determine the value of these if you and your partner can’t agree. Or sometimes you and your partner may agree on a value after looking at how much similar assets are listed for. For example, you could look at car ads online or in newspapers to get an idea of how much your car is worth.

If you go to court, you also have fill out a Form 13A: Certificate of Financial Disclosure. In it, you list all the documents that prove what you said in your financial statement. You will have to give your partner and the court copies of these documents.

This can include copies of your pay stubs, recent tax returns, and notices of assessment. If you don’t have a copy of your notices of assessment, you can get a copy of your income and deductions statement from Canada Revenue Agency by calling 1-800-959-8281.

Hide this website