2. If your baby was born in Canada, but not in Ontario

There is a different application process for babies not born in Ontario.

If your baby was born in Canada but not in Ontario, you have to apply for an OHIP card for your baby in person at a ServiceOntario centre.

If you go within 90 days of your baby’s birth, you must bring proof of your baby’s birth in another province or territory. You can either bring:

  • a letter from the hospital staff that confirms the child’s name, date of birth, place of birth, and parents’ names, or
  • a Certified Statement of Live Birth from the Registrar-General in that province or territory

If you go more than 90 days after your baby’s birth, you must bring proof of your child’s citizenship. This can include a birth certificate from a Canadian province or territory, or a Canadian passport.

No matter when you go, you always need to bring all of these documents:

  • a completed Registration for Ontario Health Coverage (form 0265-82)
  • a document to prove you live in Ontario, such as an income tax assessment or property tax bill
  • a document to prove your identity, such as a passport, permanent resident card, driver’s license, or credit card

The Ontario Health Coverage Document List (form 9998E-82) has a complete list of documents that can be used to prove your baby’s citizenship, that you live in Ontario, and your identity.

You must bring original documents. Photocopies are not accepted.

Hide this website