2. Get professional help for your child

If your child is having a hard time coping with missed or visits, think about getting professional help. Your child may be more comfortable talking to someone who is trained to work with children whose parents have separated or divorced.

Watch for signs that your child is having a hard time coping. Some of them are changes in your child’s:

  • appetite
  • sleeping
  • study habits or grades
  • attitude
  • ability to cope with their feelings of sadness or anger

Encourage your child to talk to you, your partner, or any other person they feel comfortable with. You and your child may want to talk to or get help from a:

  • family friend
  • sports team coach
  • teacher
  • school guidance counsellor
  • family doctor
  • religious leaders
  • social worker, therapist, or psychologist

Your child can also call a counsellor at Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868. A counsellor is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year long. It’s free to call anywhere, anytime. They can also email questions to a counsellor through the Kids Help Phone website.

Hide this website