2. Ask the CAS worker for visits with your child

You should ask the (CAS) worker for to see your child as soon as possible. You can try to do this when they’re taking your child away.

If you did not ask CAS when they took your child away, call the CAS worker to arrange a visit. If you can’t remember your worker’s name, ask the receptionist to find out that information for you.

You should call on a weekday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.  If you can’t call then, leave a message with your contact number.

If CAS doesn’t offer you as many visits as you’d like or if you’d like them to take place in a different way, you should speak to your worker. You may be able to agree on a different schedule. For example, if CAS wants to see how you’re doing on your visit, you may be able to agree to have part of your visit supervised and the other part unsupervised when you can take your child to a restaurant, park, or mall. Ask your worker what your options are.

If you have a lawyer, it’s important to let them know what access you have and when it changes. You can also ask your lawyer to speak to CAS for you.

Even if CAS gives you access to your child, you may want to ask the court for an access order. If you have an access order, CAS has to go back to court if they want to change or stop your visits. 

If you don’t like your access plan

Even if you’re unhappy with the access CAS gives you, you should agree to it. Access lets you maintain a relationship with your child and this is very important. It lets your child, CAS, and the court, know that you care for your child and want to keep in contact with them.

You can ask the court to change your access at your first court date.

Hide this website