1. Figure out if you can file online

You can now most family law forms and documents for a family court case online. You can file online if you want to:

What cannot be filed online

You cannot file forms and documents online:

  • to request an urgent hearing
  • for a court date that’s 5 business days or less away
  • to meet a filing deadline that’s 5 business days or less away, as required by family law legislation, the Family Law Rules, or the court’s Practice Directions


Depending on your family law issue and the court, you might be able to file your forms and documents by email too. Check the Family Law Rules and the court’s orders, Notices and Practice Directions. Or call the court for more information.  

If your case is at the Ontario Court of Justice, check the court’s website for more information on how to file your documents by email. Each court has its own email address. If you can’t email your documents, contact your court to find out what your options are.

If your case is at the Superior Court of Justice, check the court’s website for more information on how to file your documents by email.


If you’re not allowed to, or don’t want to file your documents online or by email, then you have to file them in person at the courthouse. You have to start your case in a court that:

  1. Deals with the family law issues you need to resolve. For example, the Ontario Court of Justice doesn’t deal with divorces or dividing property.
  2. Is in the municipality where you or your partner lives. But, if your issues are about or , you usually go to the court in the municipality where your child lives. Decision-making responsibility and parenting time used to be called and .

If you’re not sure which court to go to, you can call the family court in your municipality to ask.

Hide this website