4. Read your employer’s response

After your employer gets your application, they have the right to send their version of what happened to the Ontario Labour Relations Board. This is called “filing a response”.

Your employer has to send you their response within 10 business days after they get your application.

They do this using the blank forms you sent them and they may include some other documents as well. You will get a copy of what they send.

Read your employer’s response. They may say that things happened differently than what you said. They may also talk about the law and how it applies to what happened.

You should think about what you want to say at the consultation or hearing and what evidence or proof you will need to show what happened.

Get legal advice

If you need help, or if your employer talks a lot about the law in their response, you should try to get some legal advice.

A lawyer can give you advice about the law, draft your application, and represent you in your hearing.

The Law Society Referral Service can give you the name of a lawyer or paralegal you can consult with for free, for up to 30 minutes.

JusticeNet is a program for Canadians with low or moderate incomes. It connects people with lawyers and paralegals who charge lower legal fees based on your income.

You could also contact the Workers’ Health & Safety Legal Clinic, which helps people with low incomes who are having health and safety problems at work.

If you’ve been injured or punished by your employer for complaining about , you can also contact the Office of the Worker Adviser. They can give you information and legal advice if you don’t have a .

Hide this website