3. Talk to your union if you have one

If you have a at work and if you think your employer is discriminating against you, talk to your union about the situation. Your union representative can be the first person you speak to. Tell them why you think you’re being discriminated against.

Your union must:

  • listen to you, inform you of your rights, and discuss the issue with you
  • think about what you want
  • make an honest and fair decision about what you can do, and tell you how they made that decision

The union has the right to decide what steps they’ll take when you have a problem with your employer. This could include filing a on your behalf. Unless your says it’s your decision, the union can also decide:

  • how far they’ll go with the complaint process
  • what they’ll agree to with your employer

Sometimes a union chooses not to make a human rights complaint through the grievance process. If your union decides not to file a grievance because they don’t think you have a strong case, this is not . You may still file a human rights complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, but your union will not represent you in this.

Hide this website