1. Learn about the benefits you can get

You may be able to get benefits for health care related to the workplace accident or injury, such as:

  • medication
  • things you need to buy to help make you function better, like orthotics, braces, crutches, canes, wheelchairs, hearing aids, or other aids or assists that you need because of your accident at work.
  • money to pay for clothing that is damaged by braces and wheelchairs
  • doctor’s bills, medical bills, and travel costs to go to your doctor or therapy by the WSIB

You may also be able to get:

  • you didn’t get because of your injury
  • retirement income you didn’t save for because of your injury
  • training or education which is meant to help you get work if you can’t return to your old job
  • an independent living allowance if you have a severe permanent

Sometimes WSIB will pay for your costs directly. If WSIB does not pay for your costs directly:

Permanent impairment benefit

If your injury is permanent, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) may also pay you for the impact of your injury.  For example, if you will never be able to move the part of the body that was injured in the way you did before your injury.  This is called a permanent impairment benefit or non-economic loss (NEL) benefit because it is not related to your loss of earnings or ability to work.

You may need to ask for this benefit if the WSIB says that it thinks you are fully recovered and you and your doctor think you are not. If this happens, ask your doctor to tell the WSIB that you still have ongoing limitations.

 The WSIB may send you to a doctor to see how serious your permanent injury is. But in most cases the WSIB will try to assess this only by looking at the reports in your file.

If the WSIB will not assess you and you think you should be, or you disagree with the assessment you received, you can appeal that decision.

Hide this website