4. Think about a settlement

Sometimes, the principal or the school board may suggest that you try to “settle”. Settling means that you and the principal agree on an appropriate outcome.

Here are some examples of settlements:

  • The principal acknowledges that you have a learning disability that caused the incident. The school will try to help you instead of recommending expulsion.
  • You agree to get anger management counselling to improve your behaviour. The principal agrees to let you return to school after your suspension.
  • You agree to move to a new school. The principal agrees to cancel the expulsion recommendation.
  • The principal agrees to let you return to school. If your behaviour improves for the rest of the term, the principal will delete the original suspension from your record.

Your student record

Expulsions and suspensions are usually recorded in your Ontario Student Record (OSR). Teachers and school administrators who see these records may treat you differently. So it can be helpful to get a settlement that keeps the expulsion out of your OSR.

Universities and colleges in Canada usually don’t see your discipline records. They only see your academic transcript. But it is possible that they could ask for your discipline records or ask questions that may disclose your record.

The trustees must approve the settlement

If you and the principal agree on a settlement, you will present your Minutes of Settlement to the trustees. If they approve the settlement, they will cancel the expulsion hearing. But if the trustees do not approve it, they may force you to continue with an expulsion hearing.

The settlement is final

Once the trustees approve your settlement, it is final. Usually, the settlement says that you promise not to make a complaint to the Human Rights Tribunal or take any other legal action.

Before you sign a settlement, think carefully about whether you really agree to what it says. You should talk to a lawyer, especially if you’re also facing criminal charges. You can get help finding a lawyer by calling Justice for Children and Youth at 1-866-999-5329. 

Hide this website