4. Take legal action

If your landlord won’t your , you might have to take legal action.

Some cases of can be decided by the . In other situations, you might have to take your case to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.

Landlord and Tenant Board

If the solution you want is something that the Landlord and Tenant Board can order, you can file an to the Board. For example, the you want might be for the landlord to repair something that’s already there, like a ramp or an automatic door.

Or the discrimination might be related to a case your landlord is bringing to the Board. For example, your landlord might be trying to you for a reason related to your disability. You might want to talk about the discrimination at the hearing of the landlord’s case.

The Board has to consider the Human Rights Code when making decisions about eviction, repairs, or anything else.

Human Rights Tribunal

In most situations where you are experiencing discrimination, you can file an application to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario. This includes when a landlord is not accommodating your disability.

If a landlord won’t rent to you or you can’t rent a place because the landlord won’t accommodate your disability, the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario is usually the right place to have your case considered.

In other cases, you can choose between the Human Rights Tribunal or the Landlord and Tenant Board. The Human Rights Legal Support Centre can help you choose the best option and help you apply to the if that is what you decide to do.

Hide this website