Tell the dealer you want to cancel the contract
Question & AnswerCan I change my mind about buying a used car?
If you believe you have a right to cancel the contract, tell the dealer with a letter that you want to cancel it.
You can use a sample cancellation letter or write your own. Send your letter by registered mail so you can make sure that the dealer got it.
Your letter should include the following information:
- your name and address
- the date
- the name of the dealer’s company and their address
- the date you purchased the car
- the make, model, year, and vehicle identification number of the car
- how much you paid for the car
- a detailed description of why you think you can cancel the contract
- the date by which you want a response from them (5-7 days is reasonable)
Be sure to include the following things with your letter:
- evidence, like copies, not originals, of receipts, invoices, contracts, or other relevant documents, and
- your signature and the date.
Keep a copy of your letter and your registered mail receipt so that you have proof that the dealer got your letter.
Keep your letter clear, short, and specific.