Make a complaint

You might be able to complain to the Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC) or the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services.

Before making a complaint, you must first send a letter to the dealer through registered mail. If you are not happy with the dealer’s response to your letter, you might be able to file a complaint with OMVIC or the Ministry. 


You might be able to complain to OMVIC if the dealer did not give you all mandatory disclosure.

There are three ways to do this:

After you file your complaint, you will need to fill out a Complaints Process Acknowledgement Form. This allows OMVIC to contact the dealer directly.

OMVIC cannot tell a dealer to cancel a contract, return money, or do repairs. Instead, OMVIC works with you and the dealer to find a solution to the problem. If you and the dealer cannot come to a solution with OMVIC’s help, you may want to sue the dealer in court.

In some cases, OMVIC may investigate the dealer and take away (revoke) or the dealer’s licence. If a dealer did something against the law, it can lead to criminal charges.

Get more information about this process on OMVIC’s website.

Ministry of Government and Consumer Affairs

If the dealer used an unfair practice, you might be able to file a complaint with the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services.

The Ministry can look into complaints and can order the seller to follow the rules. The Ministry can also take the seller to court for violating the Consumer Protection Act. If the seller is found guilty, they can get a warning, a fine, or even be sent to jail, and they may be ordered to pay some money to you.

To contact the Ministry for more information:

Or you can mail:

Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
Consumer Protection Branch
5775 Yonge Street, Suite 1500
Toronto, ON M7A 2E5

Hide this website