Complain to the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services

If you think the seller has used an unfair practice, you can complain to the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services.

The Ministry has a complaint form that you can fill out and email. You can also print and mail or fax it to the Ministry at this address:

Ministry of Government and Consumer Services
Consumer Protection Branch
Box 450
1201 Wilson Ave Building A
North York ON
M3M 1J8
Fax: 416-326-8665

You have to include information about:

  • whether you sent a complaint letter to the seller (if you did, attach a copy)
  • whether you have documents that prove your claim, like receipts, invoices, contracts, or other important documents
  • your complaint
  • details about the seller
  • what you want the seller to do
  • your contact information

The Ministry will look into your complaint and decide if they should investigate. They might help you try to your dispute through .

Mediation is where you and the seller sit down to try to find a solution to your complaint. A trained mediator is a neutral person who does not take sides and does not make a decision. They will try to help you reach an agreement.

The Ministry may start an investigation if mediation is not successful. The Ministry can order the seller to follow the rules or add the seller to the Consumer Beware list.

In some cases, the Ministry can also take the seller to court for not following the Consumer Protection Act. If the seller is found guilty, they can get a warning, a fine, or even be sent to jail, and they may be ordered to pay some money to you.

Hide this website