5. Complain or sue if they violate your rights

The police are limited in how they do their search and what they can search for.

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects you from unreasonable search and seizure. This means that the police must conduct the search in a reasonable manner. They aren’t allowed to destroy your property for no reason. If the police do their search in a way that is not reasonable, a court may later decide that the they found can’t be used against you.

They’re allowed to use reasonable force to enter your property and to conduct their search. If you aren’t on the property or refuse to let them in, they can force your door open.

If the police use more force than you think they should, or they damage your property for no reason, you can make a complaint to the Office of the Independent Police Review Director (OIPRD).

You can also the police for using too much force and damaging your property. 

Hide this website