4. Learn about probation
Question & AnswerWhat sentences might I get in my criminal case?
You may be given a order as part of your when you’re sentenced to:
- a fine
- jail time
In most cases, if your sentence is shorter than 2 years, you’re also given a probation order. While on probation, you may have to follow certain conditions and report to a probation officer regularly.
Conditions of probation may say that you:
- have to stay in the province
- have to notify the probation officer of any changes in your job or address
- not be allowed to communicate with specific people
- not be allowed to go to specific places
- have to report to the police at specific times
- not be allowed to have weapons
- not be allowed to have drugs except with a valid prescription in your name
If you don’t follow the conditions of your probation, you can be charged with the criminal of with probation order.
You can be on probation for up to 3 years after being in jail, serving a conditional sentence, or receiving a conditional discharge.