4. Complete your EJM, EJS, or informal diversion

Once you accept EJM, EJS, or informal diversion, you must do everything you agreed to. If you don’t, the Crown may allow you to try another diversionoption, or your case may have to go back to the formal court system. If your case goes back to the formal court system, you will have to choose to have a or . Speak to a lawyer to understand your options.

If you’re having trouble completing any part of the EJM, EJS, or informal diversion program, speak to your lawyer.

If you don’t have a lawyer, you can ask the lawyer at the court to help you speak to the person at the court who supervises your program. This is usually a Youth Court Worker or a Probation Officer. The duty counsel lawyer, can also help you get a lawyer, or can help you to talk to the Crown about changing your program.

Proof of completion

Once you complete your EJM, EJS, or informal diversion, your lawyer or youth court worker should tell the Crown.

When you complete EJS, the people who manage the program usually send a document to the Crown. This document proves that you completed the program.

When you complete an informal plan for diversion, you usually need to get a document to give to the Crown. The document should show that you did all the things you agreed to do. Examples include a certificate for a finishing a course, or a letter from the place where you volunteered.

Closing your case

Once the Crown is satisfied that your EJM, EJS, or informal diversion is complete, you go back to court so that the case can be closed. How your case is closed depends on what the Crown agreed to do.

Usually when your case is closed, one of these things happens:

  • Your charges are .
  • Your charges are withdrawn after you sign a peace bond.
  • Your charges are .

Whether your charges are stayed or withdrawn, the end of EJS or informal diversion means there is no trial and you are not found guilty.

If your charges are withdrawn, your case is closed and can’t ever be reopened.

If your charges are stayed, your case closed, but in certain rare situations it can be reopened within 1 year. If your case is not reopened within 1 year, then it can’t ever be reopened.

Hide this website