1. Get legal help

Think about hiring a lawyer to negotiate the best deal possible for you. A lawyer can help you understand your rights and whether to .

You can hire a paralegal to represent you if you’ve been charged with a that has a maximum of:

  • 2 years in jail,
  • a $5,000 fine, or
  • both.

If you can’t afford a lawyer or paralegal, you can speak with . Duty counsel are lawyers who work in the courthouse. They are employed by Legal Aid Ontario to help people who do not have a lawyer. Duty counsel may be able to give you information and advice about the impact of a and make sentencing submissions on your behalf.

Mental health court support workers

If you live with mental health issues, there may be Canadian mental health court support workers who can come to court with you and help you through the legal process. You can get more information about connecting with a mental health court support worker at your local agency office of the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA).

Hide this website