3. Serve your Answer and Plan of Care

After you’ve filled out your Answer and Plan of Care, you have to it. Serving means you have to give copies of your plan to CAS and anyone else involved in your court case.

The Family Law Rules tell you what is needed at every step in a court case. Rule 6: Service of documents tells you how to serve your documents.

You can serve your Answer and Plan of Care in any one of the following ways:

  • in person
  • by mail
  • by courier
  • by fax
  • by email or electronic document exchange if the (CAS) agrees to it, or if the court orders it

The Ministry of the Attorney General has a guide on how to serve documents.

Who to serve

You always have to serve CAS. If you’re serving them in person, you can give a copy of your form to your CAS worker or the person at reception in the CAS office.

You also have to serve any other to the case. This is usually:

  • the child’s other parent or parents
  • a person who represents the child’s Band or First Nation community, if the child identifies as First Nation, Inuk, or Métis

These other parties can also write their own plan of care for the child, if they want to. If they do, they have to serve you and any other with their plan.

Hide this website