3. Go to court

The first court date is usually at least 6 weeks after the .

It is a chance for the other person to find out why you’re asking for a and what will happen next.

You also need to go to the first court date. If you don’t, the court might decide that you no longer want a peace bond.

In some cases, the might help you with your case. Or they might even withdraw your complaint if they think there is not enough to proceed with your case.

If the person agrees to sign the peace bond or if you resolve your issues, there will be no peace bond . You might be asked to think about   programs if they are available.


In some parts of Ontario, there are mediation diversion programs available. At mediation, you try to resolve your issues without going to court. A mediator is a person trained to help you work through your problems without taking sides. They don’t make decisions and they don’t force you to come to an agreement. Their job is to help everyone understand the situation and develop an agreement.

Usually all discussions in mediation are private. This means if you go to court, the judge will not know what you talked about.

Mutual peace bonds

Sometimes a justice of the peace or judge will suggest a mutual peace bond. Or the person you’re requesting an order against might ask you to agree to sign one too.

A mutual peace bond places conditions on both you and the person you requested an order against. For example, a mutual peace bond might say that neither of you can contact the other person.

If you’re asked to sign a mutual peace bond, get legal help before you sign. If there is a mutual peace bond and you break it by contacting the other person, they can press criminal charges against you. Sometimes the person might do things to get you to break the peace bond so they can call the police on you.

Hide this website