2. Find out what the police are going to do

The police might charge the abuser with a criminal offence, even if you don’t want them to do that. If the abuser is charged with a criminal offence, then the police might arrest them. 

You can ask the police to tell you if they release the abuser and whether the abuser has to follow any conditions. These are sometimes called bail conditions. Tell the police if you’re afraid that the abuser will hurt you if they’re released.

You might have to go to court and give evidence if there’s a criminal trial. It can take a long time for this happen.

If the abuser says that you abused them too, then the police could charge you with a criminal offence. If this happens, get legal advice right away.

Concerns about children

Children’s Aid Societies (CAS) have a legal duty to make sure that children under 18 years old are protected from harm. The government has given them this job.

The police must call a if they think any child under 16 years old has been harmed or is at risk of being harmed. If the child is 16 or 17 years old, the police can call a Children’s Aid Society, but they don’t have to.

Child abuse includes physical, sexual, and emotional harm. Emotional harm can happen when a child sees someone in their home being abused. Neglect is also abuse. It includes situations where a child’s basic needs, like food, shelter, sleep, or clothing, are not being met.

Hide this website