Can Ontario Works pay my assistance to someone else for me?

The Ontario Human Rights Commission has released their latest take on mandatory vaccines, passports and testing, here: In light of this update, and the new directives that the Province released a few weeks ago, we are in the process of updating our covid testing content. Please re-visit the site to access the updated content when it is available.

Long delays for appeal hearings

If you’re appealing a decision made by OW or ODSP in 2020, your appeal hearing may not happen for a long time. People report that they’re getting hearing dates from the that are between 9 and 16 months in the future. We’ll update this information as things change.

There are times when Ontario Works (OW) can pay all or part of your to someone else.

Paying money that you owe

OW can do this if you owe money to someone. For example, OW can pay your landlord or your utility company directly. See Step 1.

Paying your assistance to a trustee

If you’re under 18 and getting assistance on your own, OW usually pays your assistance to a trustee. This is someone who manages your money for you. OW chooses this person.

Steps 2 and 3 have more information about trustees.

Sometimes OW pays your assistance to a trustee even if you’re 18 or older. This can happen if they think you’re “misusing” your financial assistance or you’re not capable of managing your finances.

For example, you run out of money for food because you have a gambling problem. OW may use a trustee to manage your financial assistance for you.

If you disagree with an OW decision

If you don’t agree with a decision OW makes about paying your financial assistance to someone else, you may be able to appeal. See Step 4.

Hide this website