My landlord wants to evict me for serious damage. What should I do?

Your landlord can try to you if they say you:

  • damaged your place on purpose (“wilfully”), or
  • have caused or can be expected to cause “serious” damage by using the place for something that isn’t compatible with a living space.

The landlord must first give you a written . It should be on a form called Notice to End your Tenancy For Causing Serious Problems in the Rental Unit or Residential Complex – Form N7. You do not have to move out just because you get this notice.

To try to evict you, your landlord must then file an Application to End a Tenancy and Evict a Tenant – Form L2 with the . The Board will schedule a hearing to decide the landlord’s . The Board has the power to evict you. They can also you to pay the cost of fixing the damage.

The Board or your landlord should send you a Notice of Hearing and a copy of the landlord’s application.

There are things you can do before the hearing to try to reach an agreement with your landlord. For example, your landlord might agree to drop the case if you pay for the damage. But if you and your landlord can’t agree, your case will go to a hearing at the Board.

At the hearing, your landlord must show that:

  • they have followed all the right steps in their application,
  • there is a good reason to evict you, and
  • the notice you received gives you enough information about that reason.

You will need to prepare for the hearing. And you will need to think about the best ways to challenge your landlord’s case.

Hide this website