My landlord wants to evict me for illegal acts. What should I do?

Your landlord can apply to the to you, if they claim that you did something illegal or allowed someone else to do something illegal in your place or at your building.

For example:

  • breaking into another tenant’s apartment
  • using illegal drugs in your place or in the hallways
  • keeping illegal weapons in your place

The landlord must first give you a written . It should be on a form called Notice to End your Tenancy For Illegal Acts or Misrepresenting Income in a Rent-Geared-to-Income Rental Unit – Form N6. You do not have to move out just because you get this notice.

To ask the Board to evict you, your landlord must also file an Application to End a Tenancy and Evict a Tenant – Form L2 with the Landlord and Tenant Board. The Board will schedule a hearing to decide the landlord’s . The Board has the power to your eviction.

The Board or your landlord should send you a Notice of Hearing and a copy of the landlord’s application.

There are things you can do before the hearing to try to reach an agreement with your landlord. But if you and your landlord can’t agree, your case will go to a hearing at the Board.

At the hearing, the landlord must show that they have followed all the right steps in their application. They must also show that there is a legal reason to evict you.

You need to prepare for the hearing and think about the best ways to prove that you should not have to move out.

Hide this website