What do I do if I disagree with a WSIB decision?

The person at the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) who makes decisions about your claim and what benefits you can get is called a case manager. This is usually the same person who looked after your claim.

If you disagree with the case manager’s decision about your claim there are 2 steps you can take.


If you have important new information that you think might change the WSIB’s decision, call or write to the WSIB to ask for a  of the decision. Do this as soon as possible. You can explain why you disagree and point out anything important that you think the case manager missed or misunderstood. You can also give the case manager documents and information that they did not have before.

Appeal the decision

You can also ask to have someone else at the WSIB review your decision. This is called an . To start an appeal you have to submit a form called the Intent to Object Form. If you have more than one decision that would like to appeal, you must submit an Intent to Object Form for each of them.

The decision letter that you got from the WSIB will tell you how to get the form on the website or by phoning, and the deadline to submit it. 

The deadline to submit the Intent to Object Form is different based on the type of decision:

  • 30 calendar days for a return to work decision
  • 6 months for any other type of decision

You must submit the Intent to Object Form before the deadline, even if you are still waiting for an answer about your reconsideration request. The WSIB is very strict about this deadline, so make sure you submit your Intent to Object form on time.

Hide this website