How does sentencing work in youth criminal court?

After you’re found guilty, the judge will decide what is appropriate at a sentencing . The hearing can happen:

  • on the day you
  • at the end of your
  • on a later day scheduled by the judge

Sentencing for youth is different than for adults. In youth sentencing, the judge:

  • must follow youth sentencing principles
  • must give your parents a chance to speak if they want to say anything
  • can arrange youth justice conferences to discuss your sentence with others, such as the police, the victim, your parents, your teachers, or community leaders
  • can order medical or psychological reports about you

Jail is always the last option in youth court. But all youth sentences include a police record.

There are some sentences available for youth that are not available for adults.

The judge will decide your youth sentence by:

  • following youth sentencing principles
  • listening to the arguments made by your lawyer and the Crown
  • listening to you if you want to say anything
  • listening to your parents if they want to say anything
  • reviewing any documents or information you or the Crown provided, such as letters of support or a
  • reviewing any reports, such as a or medical/psychological report
  • reviewing any recommendations from a case conference

If you need more time to prepare for your sentencing hearing, you can ask the judge to postpone the hearing. This is called asking for an “”.

Getting a lawyer

Youth sentencing can be complicated and in some cases you can get a criminal record that lasts your entire life. It’s best to get help from a lawyer experienced in youth criminal justice. You may qualify for a legal aid certificate for a free lawyer.

If you don’t get a certificate, you can ask the judge to order Legal Aid Ontario to give you a lawyer. This is called a Section 25 order. In certain situations, including at a or at a trial, the law says that a judge must make a Section 25 order if you want a lawyer but can’t get one on your own. Once you ask the judge for a lawyer, they must consider your request. The judge usually gives you their decision right away.

You can also contact Justice for Children and Youth for help with your youth criminal case.

Hide this website